General | DBE | EEO | Title VI


How do I get a question answered about a specific project for the current bid letting?
You may ask a question regarding a specific project for the current bid letting by using our Question & Answer Forum.
Do you have to be pre-qualified to bid on a job in Montana?
Prequalification is required only for some specialty types of work at this time. No other prequalification is required. Montana law requires all contractors to register with the Department of Labor & Industry. Register before executing a contract on Federal Aid projects. Register before submitting a bid on State-funded projects. Contact the Department of Labor & Industry at 406-444-7734 for more information.
How does my company get added to your Contractor List?
Your company is automatically added to the list when you order plans, specifications or detailed drawings from MDT. If you view these items online, call the Construction Contracting Bureau at 406-444-6215 and ask us to add you to the Contractor List.
What is my Contractor ID number?
A 4-digit contractor ID number (vendor number) is assigned to your company by the Construction Contracting Bureau. It is the number you need to use to submit a bid as a Prime Contractor. This number identifies you in our database and is assigned when you order plans. If you do not know what your number is, you may get it by contacting the Construction Contracting Bureau.
How do I find out what projects are being advertised for the current month?
Projects advertised for the current month are listed in our Invitations for Bid.
Why do I get the old month's advertisement sometimes when I try to view the Invitation For Bids?
From time to time, an old month's advertisement will appear when you try to view the Invitation. To pull in the new information with the old invitation on your screen, refresh your view. The new information should appear. This should bring in the new advertisement for you.
How do I find out if a project has an addendum?
The first addendum on a project will be posted on Wednesday, the week before the bid letting date. A link to Addendum is available on the Contracting & Bidding webpage. We will also be posting complete addendum information including plan sheets, special provisions and quantities that have changed on our Bid Packages. Choose the Letting Month folder, the project name and then the addendum folder.
If a project has a second addendum, it will be posted on Monday the week of the bid letting.
How do I find out if there are Preliminary Bid Packages on a project?
A link to Preliminary Bid Packages is provided on the Contracting & Bidding webpage. Preliminary Bid Packages are generally published one month prior to advertising.
Can I submit a hard copy bid bond instead of using the electronic bond verification process when I am supplying an electronic bid through Bid Express?
When submitting bids to the Montana Department of Transportation using online bidding through Bid Express, it is acceptable to use a hard copy Bid Bond. However, the Department accepts no responsibility for non-receipt or late receipt of the bond due to its delivery. The Department is also not responsible for erroneous misdirection of the hard copy Bid Bond upon receipt. The Department will do what it can to avoid misplaced Bid Bonds, but the use of a hard copy Bid Bond for an online bid is at the contractor’s sole risk.
I have a non-project related questions that is not answered here, how can I get it answered?
For non-project specific questions you may contact us online or via phone at 406-444-6215.
What are the prime contractors’ responsibilities for prompt payment of subcontractors?
Within seven days of receiving payment, a prime contractor must pay subcontractors and report payments through the Subcontractor Payment Reporting system.

Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE)

Where can I find a list of DBEs?
DBE Directory
Should I sign up for the DBE or SBE Program?
More information about the DBE and SBE Programs can be found here.

EEO & Labor Compliance

Who should I contact regarding questions about ADA accessibility on federal-aid highway construction projects?
Please view our ADA program description. If you are unable to find the information you need feel free to contact 406-444-9229.
Who should I contact regarding questions about EEO compliance or Labor issues?
Please view our EEO/Labor program description. If you are unable to find the information you need feel free to contact 406-444-6331.
What is the best way to file an EEO or Labor Complaint?
Notify the project superintendent verbally and in writing about your concerns. There are complaint procedures, contact information and forms on the project bulletin board. If your complaint is about the behaviors of your superintendent notify your firm's EEO Officer. If you cannot access the information on the bulletin board notify and state inspector on the project or call 406-444-6331.
How can I get EEO and/or Labor training?
There is an annual EEO Officer Assembly and individualized training opportunities provided. Interest parties need only contact the Civil Rights Bureau. There are also yearly Labor training and individualized training opportunities. If you are interested in either contact the Civil Rights Bureau at 406-444-6331.
What if I don't like what someone is saying of how he/she is behaving?
Tell them politely but firmly you don't care for their talk and/or actions. Document the situation and your actions with date, time and witnesses. If the behaviors reoccur report the problem to your supervisor and/or EEO Officer.
What if I don't agree with the hours I'm getting on the job?
Keep your own record by date of the number of hours you work in each classification. Do not sign your time card if you disagree with the hours or sign it with the word "objection" under your name. If the situation is not corrected, contact your firms' payroll person and/or contact the Civil Rights Bureau at 406-444-6331.

Title VI

Who should I contact regarding questions about Title VI?
Please view our Title VI program description. If you are unable to find the information you need feel free to contact 406-444-6331.
What do I do if I think someone is treating me differently?
If you have believe you have been treated differently based on a protected status, document what has occurred (Who, what, where, when, why, how). Remember to document specifics of any situation. You may submit a written complaint with specific allegations to the concerned agency, local or state, or to the Civil Rights Bureau in Helena 406-444-6331. A complaint must be filed not later than 180 days after the date of knowledge of the alleged discrimination. Complaint Form
How do I get Title VI training?
Title VI training is available by contacting 406-444-6331.
If a non-English speaking person must be spoken with regarding a federal aid project site, am I required to do anything special to communicate with them?
This is covered by the Limited English Proficiency component of Title VI. Executive Order 13166 requires meaningful access to all federal financially assisted programs and activities by persons with limited English proficiency (LEP). State "English-only" laws do not relieve an entity that receives federal funding from its responsibilities under federal anti-discrimination laws. Various options are available for providers, including a list of interpreters. Limited English Proficiency Interpreters List
Is there specific Title VI language that is required in contracts for federal aid projects?
Yes. Language required in contracts can be found in the Title VI Party.