About the Commission
The Transportation Commission is a quasi-judicial board consisting of five members, each of whom is appointed by the Governor for a four-year term
The Commission's principle duties are:
- selection/prioritization of projects for construction, maintenance and so forth.
- awarding of monthly contracts.
- allocation of Federal-aid highway funds.
- designation of highways by system.
- designation of special speed zones and maximum speeds on bridges and overpasses.
- designation of access control highways or facilities.
- resolution of outdoor advertising appeals.
- abandonment of highway right of way.
Transportation Commission meetings are held on a regular basis. They start at 8:30 a.m. Meetings in Helena are in the MDT Commission Room at 2701 Prospect Avenue. Locations for district meetings will be announced.
If you would like to attend a meeting or place an item on the agenda, please contact Lori Ryan at
Proposed highway projects are discussed at commission meetings. Your input on the proposed highway projects is important to us and encouraged! Please send comments to
Once the Transportation Commission approves a project and FHWA concurs, it will be included in the current Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) as an amendment.