Attention all Pilots and Aircraft Owners
An online service has been established for pilot and aircraft registration. For your convenience, this service will create a faster and more convenient registration experience than in past years. Please note that a vendor provides this website for MDT Aeronautics and therefore additional fees apply. If you do not wish to pay the additional fees for utilizing this online service, registrations can be mailed to the MDT Aeronautics at no extra cost. Thank you and safe flying!
406 MHz Emergency Locator Transmitter Beacons Require Owner Update
Did you just purchase a new aircraft equipped with a 406 MHz ELT, change your tail number, or install a new ELT in your aircraft? If so, please be sure to update your registration information with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association.
- The FAA does NOT update ELT registration information when you buy or sell an aircraft or make any tail number or address changes.
- It is a good idea to confirm your information is correct and updated at every annual inspection.
- The information on the beacon is critical for finding you in the event of a search and rescue situation. Please be sure your name, home address, phone number, aircraft tail number, and your emergency contact names and numbers are all correct. It could make all the difference in locating you quicker in an emergency.
Please help prevent false ELT alerts!
Check your radio on frequency 121.5 before you shut down the engine every flight. Should your ELT be accidently activated, you will hear it sounding. If you find yourself in this situation, switch it off and call the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center (AFRCC) to let them know it was accidentally going off, you silenced it, and everything is okay. Chances are, search efforts are already underway to look for you, even if your ELT was on for only a few seconds! Do not ignore it. You can contact AFRCC 24/7 at 1-800-851-3051.
Remember, always file a flight plan!
Montana law requires flight plans to be filed for all VFR flights over 250NM.
The Montana Department of Transportation Aeronautics Division is responsible for the registration of aircraft operating in Montana.
A Montana resident who owns or purchases an aircraft or an aircraft that is routinely in the state must be registered with the MDT Aeronautics Division within 30 days of acquisition and renewed by March 1 of each year. Additionally, aircraft that are brought into Montana to engage in commercial operations must be registered prior to commencing operations in the state.
Aircraft exempt from Montana Law (67-3-201) are:
- Aircraft owned and operated by the federal government, the state or any political subdivision thereof.
- Aircraft owned and held by an aircraft dealer solely for the purpose of resale.
- Aircraft operated by an airline company for the primary purpose for carrying persons or property for hire in interstate or international transportation.
- Dismantled or otherwise nonflyable aircraft.
Power of Attorney
MCA § 67-3-203 states,
The owner of an aircraft...must submit an application for registration or registration renewal to the department on or before March 1 of each year. The statute does not state that an employee or other representative may do this; it clearly requires the OWNER to make application. A power of attorney is needed for either a business-owned aircraft or an aircraft being registered by an employee of the owner.
If you are paying by mail please complete the Power of Attorney – Aircraft Registration form and submit along with the Aircraft Registration Form if the above applies.