Design of the Single-Lane Roundabout is underway
MDT and the City of Kalispell evaluated options to improve the intersection of 2nd Street East/Conrad Drive and Woodland Avenue and determined that the safest and most efficient way to reduce the number and severity of crashes is to use a small single-lane roundabout. Key design features include:
- It fits within the public right-of-way and is not significantly larger than the existing intersection
- Improved intersection safety
- Better sight distances (ability to easily see on-coming cars to avoid colliding with them) at all approaches to the intersection.
- Reduces the number of conflict points – drivers only have to look one direction for on-coming traffic
- Slower speeds through intersection
- Improved crossings for people walking and biking
- It has a traversable center island to accommodate school buses and other larger vehicles like trucks with trailers and RVs
- It is a cost-effective investment that will last far into the future. The roundabout will efficiently handle traffic volumes for the next 20 years without additional investments
Additionally, the route is an emergency route and maintained by the City to include deicing and plowing to pavement.
Watch for future open houses to learn more about the design. Construction is tentatively planned for 2025.
The Montana Department of Transportation (MDT) and the City of Kalispell are evaluating options to improve the intersection of 2nd Street East/Conrad Drive and Woodland Avenue. The two primary goals of the project are to:
- Improve safety for all roadway users including people walking and riding bikes
- Minimize impacts to adjacent properties
The City of Kalispell has seen 15.7% population growth between 2010 and 2017. It's no wonder this busy intersection continues to see an increase in vehicular traffic as well as pedestrians and cyclists. It serves:
- Adjacent neighborhoods
- Commuter traffic
- Local businesses
- Woodland Park and its popular swimming pool
- Heritage Park
- Woodland Montessori School
- Cornelius Hedges Elementary School
- Conrad Mansion Museum
Safety for all roadway users is a priority for MDT. The current intersection configuration does not work as well as it used to when traffic volumes were lower. A study of crash trends indicates a growing concern and by planning now, MDT’s goal is to reduce the frequency and severity of crashes.
Woodland and 2nd Street
Woodland and 2nd Street Existing Intersection