Applying for an Internship? View the How to Fill Out New-Hire Paperwork Video
Earn while you learn!
Montana Department of Transportation offers summer internship in the following areas:
- Audit Services
- Civil Engineering
- Construction Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Human Resources & Occupational Safety
- Information Services Division
- Rail, Transit, and Planning
- Right of Way Design
To be eligible, students must:
- be enrolled in a college, university, or technical school; or be within 6 months of graduation date
- have completed at least 60 academic credits or 30 credits if enrolled in technical school; and
- be in good academic standing.
Work Schedule & Job Locations
Internships start in mid-May and run through the mid- August.
Typically 40 hour work weeks, Monday - Friday
Internships are available across Montana. Locations vary depending on department needs and upcoming projects.
Salary & Benefits
Pay is dependent upon credit hours. Salary range is posted on the job listing.
Academic credit for internships is governed by the university. MDT provides any information the university needs for students to receive credit.
Interns cannot become permanent employees without applying for permanent positions. That said, internships are an excellent way to gain job experience and boost employability.
Finding and Applying for an Internship
Internship opportunities appear on MDT's Current Openings page and are marked "Internship."
Submit an online application to qualify!
Please remember to attach the following to your application:
- cover letter
- unofficial transcripts